Sunday, March 17, 2013

Trout season begins....

I'd had it in my head for the two weeks leading up to the start of the 2013 season that I'd kick things off with a session on the River Eamont. Don't ask me why, I don't know, maybe because I'd had my final session of the 2012 Trout season on the Eamont - I do things like that sometimes.
Opening day (15th March) dawned very wet and miserable and I must admit, I was waivering. We're very lucky to have so much choice in this area and it did cross my mind to go somewhere else or even give in to the rain and not bother, but, the Eamont was in my head and that's where I had to go.
The morning's rain was beginning to have an effect on the river by the time I arrived, it was rising very slowly, not a massive problem on a previously very low river. It was just fishable but colouring up so I wouldn't get long before it was too dirty to fish.
 

Luckily, I didn't need long and was soon into my first fish of the season, a cracking 44.5cm specimen. I couldn't have wished for a better start.

 
The river continued to colour up, I saw a few Large Dark Olives and tracked them downstream until they were out of sight - hoping for a rise - but none were taken. A few speculative casts here and there with the nymph produced nothing more, so I gave in, conceding the fact that the river was now too coloured.
My first session of 2013 had lasted two hours - short, but very sweet !

2 comments:

The Jassid Man said...

Hi!

Fine start of the season! Here in Sweden the rivers are still covered with ice so it'll take a while for a first normal fly fishing session here. Thanks for sharing!

Geoff Johnston said...

Thanks Jassid Man, I hope it's not too long before the ice goes and you can get out there and get you're string pulled - many tight lines for 2013, Geoff